1. The mandate to clear all criminal elements in the North West zone of the country has continued to yield more positive results, as troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY in recent operation accross the theatre recorded more successes against the bandits and other criminal elements in the zone.
2. On 18 September 2020, troops deployed at Dangulbi while conducting routine operation at an identified bandits area, arrested 2 suspects namely Umaru Lawali and Ahmed Bello. Items recovered from them include 2 black masks (suspected to be used while committing crime), some quality of cannabis sativa and one motorcycle. In the same vain, one Mr Abdullahi Lawal and Bala Saidu were arrested by troops at Sabon Layi and Dandume in connection with their involvement in selling of rustled cattle for bandits. Also, troops deployed at Kwatarkwashi in Zamfara State acting on a credible information arrested one Yunusa Muhammad at Gidan Yawa in Bungudu LGA of Zamfara State. Suspect is confessed to being a specialist in arranging the kidnap of victims and collection of ransom on behalf of bandits.
3. Additionally, On 19 September 2020, troops deployed at Dandume acting on credible information thwarted what could have been a massive attack on locals by suspected armed bandits at Dandume LGA in Katsina State. The troops who received timely information on the movement of the suspects with several motorcycles swiftly mobilized to the area and engage the marauding criminals in a fire fight. The superior firepower of troops forced the suspects to withdraw in disarray with several of the bandits sustaining gunshot wounds as traces of blood were seen on their escape route during exploitation.
4. Also, on 19 September 2020, following credible information, troops deployed at Batsari arrested a suspected bandit named Abdullahi Musa with at Giginyu village. Suspect was identified to be a member of a criminal bandits gang terrorizing the area. Also, one Amadu Saleh and Shaibu Ibrahim were arrested by troops at Madachi and Maigora villages. The suspects are confirmed to be involved in illicit dealings and supplies of logistics to bandits. Furthermore, following a reliable information about movement of unknown persons suspected to be bandits with 6 motorcycles at Dan Aji forest around Yar Mallamai in Kankara LGA Katsina State, troops immediately mobilized and laid ambush in the area and arrested the
5. Similarly, on 19 September 2020, troops responded to a distress call about suspected armed bandits invasion on Dayau village in Kaura Namoda LGA of Zamfara State. On sighting troops arrival, the bandits in an attempt to escape cowardly fired sporadically and withdrew into the bush, nevertheless the resilient troops pursued them deep into the forest, neutralizing with one of the bandits while One motorcycle was recovered from the fleeing criminals. Same day, troops deployed at Yar Tsamiya Jino while on patrol rescued a young female kidnap victim named Jamila Sani around the fringes of Yar Tsamiya Jino forest. Preliminary investigation revealed that she was kidnapped alongside others at Makasu village in Kankara LGA of Katsina State on 7 September 2020. Efforts are ongoing to rescue the remaining victims.
6. Also, On 20 September 2020, troops arrested 2 suspected bandits namely Dayyabu Abubakar and Yahaya Murtala along Machika-Mararaba road. Equally, on 22 September 2020, following a tip off, troops in Faskari Katsina State arrested 2 suspected bandits namely Haruna Hassan and Kabiru Abdullahi at Yankara Market and Angwan Boka. Suspects were identified to be members of a bandits group terrorizing locals in the general area, items recovered from them include 2 mobile phones, One knife and cannabis sativa. On same day, troops of Sector 3 arrested one Mallam Gambo, a wanted bandits’ logistics supplier at Dansadau in Maru LGA of Zamfara State.
7. Furthermore, on 23 September 2020, troops on clearance patrol destroyed several bandits’ camps and recovered 2 Dane guns, one locally made sword and 3 Axes. Relatedly, troops acting on intelligence raided some suspected bandits’ camps at Gadawa general area. The bandits fled the area before the troops arrive, notwithstanding, troops recovered 2 motorcycles, One mobile phone and the sum of of Ten Thousand Naira (N10,000.00) after conducting thorough search of the area. Also, troops deployed at Daudawa arrested a suspected bandits collaborator named Abubakar Isah at Daudawa village in Faskari LGA of Katsina State.
8. Additionally, on 24 September 2020, troops deployed at Dan Ali village based on credible intelligence arrested 9 suspected bandits collaborators at Sabon Garin Dan Ali general area in Danmusa LGA of Katsina State. Also, troops deployed at Daudawa, acting on a tip off by locals arrested one Surajo Bala, a suspected bandits informant. Suspect confessed to be involved in arranging kidnap of victims for bandits. Relatedly, troops deployed at Safana, responding to a distress call foiled an armed bandits attack and recovered several rustled cattle at Danyegeya village in Safana LGA. The troops swiftly storm the village and pursued the bandits forcing them to abandon their loots as they escaped under the cover of darkness with possible gunshot wounds. The recovered cattle were handed over to the rightful owners, while troops continue to dominate the area with fighting patrols
9. To this end, the gallant troops of Operation SAHEL SANITY are commended for the successes achieved and their commitment to duty. They are further urged not to rest on their oars until Northwest is rid of all criminals. While the good people of the Northwest are once again assured of troops commitment to the safety of lives and property within the zone, they are also encouraged to continue to avail the troops with timely and credible information that will assist them in the operations.
10. Kindly disseminate this information through your medium with the attached photographs to the general public. Thank you for your usual cooperation.
Dehfence Media Operations27 September 2020