With your permission the honorable Chairman, I wish to further inform the gathering that the purpose of this occasion is not only to acknowledge the well-deserved honour conferred on Engr. Nura Aburrahamn Nakano Rafindadi by the President and Commander in Chief of the Armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria H.E Muhammad Buhari GCFR a retired General, but also to locally honour him as a father, son, brother and a great leader and achiever of great feat in reducing the unemployment rate and the provision of infrastructure particularly on the construction and rehabilitation of road networks and drainages
You all know that Rafindadi is a bastion of knowledge, hardwork, innovation, dedication and enterprising. Many of the members of our families have passed achieving success and prominence in Banking, industry, medicine, administration, pharmacy, land management, agriculture, education e.t.c.
However, the personality of Engineer Nura Abdurrahaman Nakano Rafindadi has really become a landmark in all those fields particularly in Engineering, Water Resources, land management, economics and administration since after his graduation as a B. Engineer particularly from the period of Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) to his present position as the Managing Director (MD) Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA). Even in politics Engineer Nura has proved to be dedicated to party of H.E Muhammadu Buhari, the present President from 1999-Date.
This is just an addition to all distinguished activities he has undertaken as a professional and registered Engineer in Nigeria where he held various positions of responsibilities. He is in fact a bulldozer, behaviouralist, sociologist and psychologist. He is committed in the services of mankind from Rafindadi, Katsina areas and beyond. He is in fact a blessing to humanity because of his realism, commitments, and judgement. It is this personality that I wish to give a citation of his life and some major activities for the consumption of this gathering of family, friends, and wellwishers, the people of Katsina and beyond. The purpose of which is to serve as an exemplary to our teeming youths who are in a position of power and authority.
EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION
This young achiever Engineer Nuraddeen Abdrrahaman Nakano Rafindadi was born on Friday (a blessed day) 25th March 1960 in a learned family in Rafindadi Quarters, Wakilin kudu Area, Magajin Gari district, Katsina, the capital city of the present day Katsina State.
At the attainment of three years Engineer Nura was enrolled in an Islmic school where he was taught the reading of the Holy Qur’an, Fiqhu, Hadith Islamic thought, jurisprudence, philosophy etc. at the age of six years he was admitted to the Rafindadi Primary School in Katsina city from 1966 to 1972 for his Primary education. From 1973 to 1977 he attended Federal Government College Sokoto from his secondary education where he completed with flying colour of Grade One the highest grade of West African School Certificate. This made him to be readily admitted to famous and reputable Ahmadu Bello University Zaria from 1977 to 1981 where he successfully obtained a second class upper Degree in B.Eng (Civil Engineering) degree in 1981. From 1984 to 1986 he obtained an MSc (Water Resources and Environmental Engineering) from the same ABU Zaria Nigeria. Thus, throughout this educational career he obtained both the Islamic and western Education to become a well learned fellow who have attributes of changing the fortunes of life of the ordinary man and elites of his group and category. He believes in changes, success and development of both the territory and people of Nigeria.
Engineer Nura Abdurahman Rafindadi wanted to be a scientist and professional. Many thought he would be a Medical Doctor, but the young Nura decided and opted for Engineering when such Engineers are very few in katsina and Nigeria as whole. His dream and ambitions were realized as he becomes a World-Class Engineer by becoming a fellow of the following Nigerian Engineering Bodies:
– He is a fellow, Nigerian Society of Engineers (FNSE) – Registered Engineer, council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) – Distinguished fellow Nigerian Academy of Engineering (FAENG)
– Fellow, Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers (FNICE) – Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Highway Engineers (FNIHE) – Fellow, Nigerian Association of Hydrological Sciences (FNAHS) – Fellow Association of Consulting Engineers of Nigeria (ACEN)
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
Engineer Nura is also a member of Professional Bodies in Nigeria.
– A member Nigerian Academy of Engineering (NAENG) – Nigerian Society of Engineering (NSE) – Nigerian Institute of Civil Engineers (NICE) – Nigerain Institution of Highway Engineers (NIHE) – Association of Consulting Engineers of Nigeria (ACEN) – Member, Federation of the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC).
The acknowledged professional Engineer Nuraddeen started his career of professionalism as NYSC member. He served in Lagos state from 1981-1982 where he held the position of Youth Corp Civil Engineer with the responsibility of field Engineer and building supervisor of the construction works at citizenship and leadership training center, Sea School Island, Apapa Lagos. From 1982 to 1986 Engineer Nura Decided to serve in his state Kaduna-Katsina States, despite the ample opportunities he had. He served at Sokoto Rima River Basin Authority (SRBDA), KadunaKaraduwa (RBDA) where he served as the Civil Engineer Zobe dam, Goronyo dam, Bakolori dam and Irrigation Project in Sokoto and Zobe Irrigation Project. He also designed construction of small dams on direct labour, with taskforce teams. From 1985 to 1990 he was in government service as Principal Engineer Assistant Director. In Katsina he was in the Ministry of Agriculture as Assistant Director Irrigation where he opened more areas of irrigation farming throughout the state. He also designed and constructed two small dams at Koza Koza Dam, in Daura Local Government Area and Kerewa dam, Zaria Local Government Kaduna state. Also more relief wells were constructed through newest drainage system. He headed the Task Force on Accelerated Wheat Production Programme of the Federal Republic of Nigeria under the office of the Vice President in 1988-1990 with a total of more than 10,000 hectares.
Enigeer Nura Abdurrahman Rafinddai initiated and participated in the establishment of Afriprojects Consortium in Kaduna where he served as a partner Engineering services. He conducted feasibility studies and support to client states of Kaduna, Sokoto and Kebbi States. He also secured financing from AIDB Bank for multistate health sector programme intervention covering Kaduna, Sokoto, Kebbi, Ogun and Ondo States and a funding of $80, million U.S dollars. He undertook the project of Kagara dam, Kaduna Refinery Complex, Unified Access Project: KRPC, Kaduna NNPC Pipelines and Deports Enugu-Makurdi-Yola with Keffi.
He became the Chief Consultant Engineering Services of Afric –Projects Consortium Nigeria. He secured consultancy for the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF Nigeria) Projects to manage and coordinate agriculture/rural sector Projects, grazing reserves and stock routes, mass vaccination of livestock rehabilitation of the facilities of the national Veterinary Research Institute (NURI) Vom, Plateau State, Master plan study for the development of fishery sub-sector in Nigeria, designed and prepared for selected urban, semi urban, regional and rural water supply projects. He undertook the National Highways and Urban Road Rehabilitation Project of over 12,000 kilometers of Federal Roads. He also designed selected national highway for construction and/or realignment (about 660 km). so also National Rural Telecommunications. With regards to employment Engineer Nura engaged over 10,000 contractors and suppliers, 620 professional firms, 15,000 other professionals and 500,000 other cadre personnel in Private sector. In 1999 he attended and successfully completed a Private Finance of Infrastructure “awarded by the International Law Institute (ILI) Georgetown, University Washington DC USA. During this period he received official commendations locally and internationally from World Bank, AFDB, FAO Global 2000 (and ex-US President Jimmy Carter) WHO, UNICEF, Local Chambers of commerce, the manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) and the Nigeria Stock Exchange, (NSE) among others.
– Member of Nigerian delegation of consulting engineers at annual FIDIC and affiliated conferences – 1997 to date: Edinburgh, UK (1997); Edmonton, Canada (1998); The Hague, Netherlands (1999); Montreux, Switzerland (2000); Acapulco, Mexico (2003); Paris (2004); Durban, SA (GAMA, 2008); London, UK (2009); New Delhi, India (2010); Davos,
Switzerland (2011); Livingstone, Zambia (GAMA, 2012); Seoul, South Korea (2012); Khartoum, Sudan (GAMA, 2013); Barcelona (2013). – Chairman / Member, Katsina State Committee for the Planning of projects in the semiurban water supply sector (2008).
During this period Engineer Nuraddeen Abdurrahman Rafindadi was the partner and Executive Consultant of Afri-Projects Consortium (and affiliate firms) where he undertook various projects and studies among which are:
– Supervision of completion of 7,000 Hectare Kano River Irrigation Project Phase 1: for Federal Ministry of Agriculture, as DIYAM Consultants. Supervision, contract administration. – Business development, corporate registrations and project bids in the oil and gas sector: (as Energy Projects Consortium (EPC) Ltd.) –  – Interim National Consultants for Galaxy Backbone PLC, NICEP project (a project aimed to enhance rural digital inclusion, establishing 5,000 internet nodes across the country): QA, QC, stakeholder relationship management. – Co-National Co-coordinating Consultants for the Strategic Silos Project, for the Federal Ministry of Agriculture (2009. 20 no. Silo complexes for the storage of over 1 million tonnes of grains across the country.) – Lead National Consultant, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of Debt Relief – production of annual M&E reports for 4 years (2006 to 2009, over 18,000 projects and programmes). Worked with a National Civil Society Organization; attended Presidential MDGs committee meetings, OSSDAPMDGs retreats, conferences and other events; present in the FG team at UN MDG+10 summit at New York, 2011. – Gains (DRGs) funded MDGs projects and programmes, in Nigeria – for OSSAP-MDGs, the Presidency. Coordinated field M&E exercises and the – Study on rural Development strategy/poverty alleviation in Nigeria component 5: Human Capital Development – Legal and Regulatory Framework for the Nigerian Telecommunication sector BPE – Rehabilitation works Bakalori Irrigation Project (about 8,000 Ha) FMNR – Procurement system and procedure for the National Fadama Development Programme II (NFDPII) PCU Federal Ministry of Agriculture – Roads development programme Yobe State Feasibility Study – Completion of 7,000 Hectare Kano River Irrigation Project Phase 1: Supervision and Contract administration. – Design and Supervision of the World Bank Financed Urban Upgrading Project in Bauchi State.
And many others which could not be referred to due to exigencies of time.
– Member Governing Board of Nigerian Maritime Administrations and Safety Agency Contributed a lot in Staff Development and Welfare. – Between 2012 to 2013 Engineer founded and established Association for Consulting Engineering in Nigeria (ACEN) where he served as the President and chairman of the council, leader of its delegates to FIDIC and affiliated International Conferences: member of Council of NSE, member COREN council committees. As a result of all these he utilized a partnership with DFID (Department of foreign and International Development of United Kingdom to obtain DFID support for the advocacy programme. He also led the formation of the Engineering Leadership Forum (ELF) where ACEN, COREN and NSE collaborate to advance the course and demands of the engineering industry.
It is also during his professional position under PTF that the Kamitawa Pond Rafindadi Katsina that every year overflood its banks demolition people’s houses and road accessibility was constructed and drained away a big chamber and durable drainage emptying its waters to a water stream/small river along Babbar Ruga road, Katsina.
– As Founding Partner of Afri-Projects Consortium (APC): 1991 – 1995, was responsible for consultancy services in civil engineering and water resources sectors. Projects handled included dam and water supply projects (in Niger, Kebbi and Sokoto States); feasibility studies on proposed water supply projects; feasibility / preparation for project financing for the multi-state health project (Kaduna, Sokoto and Kebbi states, financed by the AfDB).
– As Executive Consultant (Engineering) – APC, working for the Petroleum (Special) Trust Fund (PTF), 1995 to 1999. Responsible for professional services on PTF projects and programmes. Responsibilities included: • Administering the “Project Cycle” methodology: conception, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes; development of required organizational structure, due process, procurement procedures, reporting formats and system records; • Overseeing the development of IT infrastructure to support and optimize the “Project Cycle” process, development of work-flow process and application software for the management of projects;
• Preparation of Terms of Reference for, and coordination of engineering services on projects;
• Engineering staff development: continuing professional development, processes and procedures, professional conduct and performance quality;
• Planning / design, project control, projects management and contracts administration of major projects.
– As Director in APC, established / headed the following associated firms:
• Diyam Consultants – Land and Water resources Development consultants with a large portfolio of previous projects including the first feasibility study of the Mambilla HEP project conducted in 1985. Currently supervising the multi-billion Naira completion of the Kano River Irrigation Projects Phase I.
– Energy Projects Consortium Ltd. – a Nigerian firm established in 2002, and registered with the DPR to engage in engineering, project management and related professional services in the Nigerian energy sector, with a vision to develop indigenous engineering and management skills in the energy / power sectors, and especially for the oil and gas industry. – Global Projects Consortium – a Nigerian multi-disciplinary firm. Services provided have included – as National Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant for the MDGs projects and programs in Nigeria [for the Office of the SSAP on MDGs, the Presidency]; as Co-National Coordinating Consultant for the nationwide silos project – Federal Ministry of Agriculture. Also served (2008) as interim National project management and QA Consultant for the NICEP project, executed by Galaxy Backbone PLC.
He also constructed many dams for water supply and irrigation at Sabke (Katsina State) Gari Jigawa/Kano states) Hadeja (Jigawa State) Enugu (Enugu State), Ikoyi, Victoria Island and 1004 housing estate (Lagos State) Makurdi (Benue State) Ibadan Oyo State and Joda –Gezawa (Kano State). He also spearheaded the construction and commissioning of boreholes for water supply for over 5000 rural communities.
During the period 1999 to date Engineer Nura Abdurrahman Nakano Rafindadi has been the supporter of APC which mutated into several names from 1999 to 2015. In fact, he undertook many projects and studies of the realization of the dream of the party to bring meaningful change in the lives of the people of Nigeria.
This period was a watershed and a landmark in the services of Engineer Nura Abdurrahman Nakano Rafindadi. It is the period in which he accomplished his experiences in administration and Engineeringship where he \effected important services to the Nigerian people. This is evidenced because immediately after his appointment as M.D FERMA by His Excellency the President and Commander of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari, he swung into action. All highways and Trunk/ A roads were given a new breath of life as all potholes and ragged areas vanished. He was able to do this by coordinating all branches and all activities necessary to deliver the services as directed. He has further reduced the rate of accident and rate of death on highways. He also reduced the rate of unemployment by recruiting both senior and junior officials and also the casual workers and labourers to ensure effective and efficient services. In fact, to do justice to the enormous contributions in the development of Nigeria, this cannot be done in this as it warrants writing a book. However, I will highlight the contributions he has made in Katsina state with great impact of the people of the state.
– Engineer Nura made branch office of FERMA in Katsina State alive due to the many officers recruited on permanent basis and on casual laborership. At least 3,000 people were employed every six months to handle the clearance of the edges of the highway. – He also contracted and asphalted some roads in Katsina city as the capital of the state. 1 From behind Alh. Amadi Kurfi to the insides of the Kofar Kaura Layout. 2 He patches and asphalted the Link Road in Rafindadi i.e. from Gareji – Tayoyi in Rafindadi Quarters, Katsina. 3 He also in collaboration of the Hon. Member Alh. Salisu Iro Isansi representing Katsina Local Government at the House of representative to i. Asphalted Kofar Yandaka to Mobil road. ii. Asphalted the road at Unguwar Canada to the Kofar Kaura highway Katsina. iii. Kofar Marusa to Kofar Kaura through Malam Niga area Katsina. iv. Asphalted the cyclical road in Federal Medical Centre Katsina.
4. All Federal roads linking Katsina State with other states were patched and resurfaced the ragged areas e.g.
i. Katsina – Jibia – Gusau – Sokoto Road ii. Katsina – Dutsinma – Mararrabar Kankara iii. Katsina – Kankia-Gidan Mutum Daya Rimaye vi. Malumfashi-Zaria (or Funtua – Zaria) In addition to roads Engineer Nura also assisted the Rafindadi community with a first class drainage from Asibitin Malam Barau to Kamitawa pond which he earlier spearheaded its upgrading and a drainage that empty the water during all season.
He with collaboration of Salisu Iro Isansi of the representative of Katsina Federal Constituency constructed a solid drainage of the Matan Fada pond.
Again he assisted in the establishment of the Civil Defence Office at Rafindadi. He also assisted by providing street solar lights in Rafindadi.
In the course of his service to the nation, Engineer Nura has received many honours in recognition of his meritorious service to the fatherland. Some of which are:
1. Shell BP price for the best final year project thesis ABU Zaria, Civil Engineering in 1981. 2. Morgan Omonitam prize for project in structural engineering, ABU Zaria in 1981 3. Nigerian society of Engineers Presidential Merit Award, 2004, 2014, and 2015. 4. Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers NICE Award 2009 5. Sudanese Engineering and Architecture, Consultancy Association as speaker, GAMA FIDIC conference Khartoum Sudan 2013. 6. NIQS Guest Keynote Speaker, Zonal Conference July, 2014. 7. Association of Consulting Engineers (ACEN). Award as Guest Speaker, 2000 Annual Conference, Ikeja, Lagos. December 2000. 8. Association of Consulting Engineers (ACEN). Award as Guest Speaker, 2002 Annual Conference, Ikeja, Lagos. 17th – 18th December 2002. 9. Association of Professional Bodies of Nigeria (APBN). Award as Guest Speaker, APBN 19th Annual General Assembly, VI, Lagos. 24th July 2003. 10. Association of Consulting Engineers (ACEN) Award as Guest Speaker, 2004 Annual Conference, Ikoyi, Lagos. 15th to 16th December 2004. 11. Nigerian Society of Engineers. 2004 Presidential Merit Award, for consistent support to the Society. 12. The Nation Merit Award of OFR Order of the Federal Republic Conferred on him by His Excellency the President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari October, 2022 which we are today celebrating. I am sure more awards are coming locally, nationally and internationally.
Published more than 17 professional papers and presentation.
Engineer Nura Abdurahaman Nakano Rafindadi has written many papers at organized lecturers and conferences which we cannot referred to due to lack of time and space. Canada, US, Mexico, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, China, UAE, Qatar, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Italy, Switzerland, Jamaica, Spain. In Africa Ethiopia, South Africa, Morocco, Senegal, Ghana, Togo, The Republic of Benin, Niger, Sudan.
Mr. Chairman, ladies and gentlemen I wish to present to you this illustrious great achiever and professional Engineer Alhaji Engineer Nura Abdurrahman Nakano Rafindadi.
May God Bless Us All
CITATION OF AN EMINENT ENGINEER ALHAJI NURA ABDURRAHMAN NAKANO RAFINDADI IN RECOGNITION OF THE AWARD OF OFR (ODER OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC) BY HIS EXCELLENCY MUHAMMADU BUHARI, THE PRESIDENT AND COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, HELD AT THE OCCASION OF THE AWARDS OF HONOUR BY BANI TALIB FAMILY, FRIENDS, COLLEAGUES AND WELL WISHERS; AT MUNAJ HALL KATSINA, AT 3:00PM ON 29TH OCTOBER, 2022.
MEETS Dr. Suhayb Sanusi Rafindadi, OON
(Personal Physician to the President)
Dr. Sanusi was born to the family of the late Alhaji Sanusi Zayyan in Rafindadi Quarters of Katsina State. He attended Rafindadi Model Primary School, Katsina, Arabic Teachers College, and Government Science Secondary School Dutsinma, finishing as the overall best student and best science student in Katsina State in 1996. He went to Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he studied Medicine and Surgery, graduating in 2004 with MBBS, receiving the award of overall best Pre-Clinical Student.
Dr. Sanusi did one year of house-manship at Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitals in Kaduna and Zaria. Upon completing National Youth Service at the Comprehensive Health Center in Goniri, Gujba LGA of Yobe State, he returned to Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital Zaria for residency training in surgery and neurosurgery between 2008 and 2013 and the National Hospital, Abuja, for further training in Neurosurgery between 2014 and 2015.
He attended many courses within and outside the country, including the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies Training Center in Rabat, Morocco, and the University of Arizona Medical Center in Tucson, Arizona, USA.
He is a member of the Nigerian Medical Association, a Member of the West African College of Surgeons, and a member of the Nigerian Academy of Neurological Surgeons.
Dr. Sanusi was appointed Personal Physician to President Muhammadu Buhari in June 2015. He discharged his duties and responsibilities so diligently and commendably that when President Buhari was re-elected for a second tenure in 2019, he re-appointed Dr. Sanusi in the same capacity. As Physician to the President, Dr. Sanusi is responsible for the overall healthcare needs of the President. He worked with the National Centre for Disease Control and the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 to design and implement a robust Covid-19 mitigation strategy in the State House, which yielded excellent results during the difficult period of the pandemic
Dr. Sanusi has organized and sponsored several medical and surgical outreach programs in Kaduna, Katsina, Abuja, and Sokoto States. He has helped secure employment for over Eighty (80) Katsina State indigenes with over forty (40) from Rafindadi. He secured local and foreign scholarships at undergraduate and graduate levels for Katsina state indigenous including to the United Kingdom, China, and India.
Before his current appointment, he was a lecturer with the Faculty of Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. He has also worked as Medical officer, FOMWAN Hospital, Kaduna and Chief Medical Officer, Diamond Specialist Hospital, Kaduna. He is married and has children. In his free time, Dr. Sanusi plays table tennis and enjoys watching documentaries about wildlife.